The project in Nepal is run in conjunction with the Maya Universe Academy, a Nepal-based charitable organisation that aims to give each child a quality and free primary education through small rural schools. Volunteers are required in a variety of roles including as classroom assistants and activity leaders on specific education projects. Volunteers will also support extra-curricular activities in the school which have in the past included first aid & health education, IT skills development, and sports coaching.
The volunteers will raise funds for crucial construction projects at the schools which have in previous years included classrooms and boarding houses for the most rural students who live more than a day’s walk away from their closest school.
Skills required: Experience of supporting/running activities for children; basic engineering skills, education experience, IT skills to build staff capacity, health education experience.
- For more information you can download an introduction to the Nepal project written by our Imperial College team here.
- Check out the ‘day at Maya’ blog from our 2016 Imperial College volunteers.
- Check out the Imperial College Project Nepal blog page here.
- Maya Universe Academy’s website: www.mayauniverseacademy.org/
- Free Nepali language resources at Live Lingua.
Project Nepal Imperial College team 2015